Friday, March 1, 2013

Springtime in Moldova
















 
March 1st and its 7 AM.  The sun is streaming in my room.  What's this all about?  They call it "Primavara"  or Spring.  I checked outside and looked across the valley.  Only the tiniest piles of snow left on the ridges.  I almost didn't recognize my shadow!  It has been three weeks since we have had any sunshine.  There's a new puppy around the yard, trying to get used to chickens.  And Pica, the mama dog, is keeping a close eye on junior.  The sky is really blue again, and the streets are definitely drier.  The field you see next to the community center is a new project for me.  I'm trying to turn that into a multiple sports and recreation area.  Inside the center there are new challenges for the kids.  Yes, a familiar 500 piece puzzle of a tiger.  The super large red and white flowers you see made from construction paper by the kids are a Martisol.  "Marti" is the word for March.  And on March 1st people give friends the small martisol pins you see in the following picture as a sign of friendship and the hope of new life that Spring brings.  The "baba" (old lady) who lived in the blue house didn't make it through the winter.  But we believe she is still with us in spirit.  Well so much for the first day of Spring in Moldova.  I guess its time to take the road home.  And by the way, today is also Peace Corps Day, as on March 1, 1961, Pres John Kennedy signed the Executive Order creating the Peace Corps.  I'm sure glad he did.

1 comment:

  1. Your positive spirit is terrific. Grandpa Wally would love it. As for me, hey, congrats! You made it through a Moldovan winter! That would warrant at least a medal of honor. Gotta love those rays of sunshine and the dry roads.

    I'm in sunny Tucson for a whole 10 days. It snowed heavily in Madison the day after I left. And over the weekend, temps dipped down to zero! Perfect timing! Saw Matt Schultz & his beautiful family in Silver City over the weekend. I return to reality on Wednesday, leaving blue sky & cactus behind.

    ReplyDelete