Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter in Moldova

















 
Well in a way, it really wasn't Easter in Moldova.  This year the Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter on May 5th.  They are in the beginning of Lent right now.  But for us western Christians, it was Easter.  You can tell from our weather board "Lumea Mea" at the Community Center, that it wasn't a sunny day.  "Lumea mea" means My World.  We're not having a bar-b-cue as it seems in the next picture.  Saturday night the catholic church in Orhei had the traditional Vigil Mass with the blessing of new fire.  Winter in Moldova has convinced me that the warmth of a new fire is a religious experience.  Of course the Paschal Candle is lit from the new fire and the people proceed into church with their lit candles.  You may notice a color scheme in flowers and ribbons in church that emphasize red and white.  This is a crossover from the Spring Martisol colors in the Moldovan tradition.  I noticed the absence of Easter Lilies.  I always love the smell of Easter Lilies.  On the front of the altar you see the words "Cristos a Inviat", Romanian for Christ is Risen.  As is traditional in many European countries, people brought baskets of food to be blessed after Mass.  These include things like colored eggs, breads, sausage.    Well the community in Piatra today was having a talent show: "Piatra Are Talente" or Piatra Has Talent. It took place in the cafeteria of our local school. So my Easter afternoon was filled with all the excitement of singers and comics and poets and musicians of all ages.  There were 32 acts in all.  On my way back to my house, I saw a stork gliding in circles over our valley.  What a beautiful sight.  When I got to the house, I thought I saw the Easter Bunny.  No, it was only Liviu playing in the yard with Grandma Iulia and Uncle Sergiu.  The weather did turn during the day and got up to 50.  It was a good day for puppies, kids, and little peeps.  Check back in on May 5th and see how Moldovans celebrate Easter. 

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly wait for May 5 but it seems like such a long way away! In Poland, Easter is a bigger deal than Christmas, and so I'm wondering if it's the same in Moldova. I thought you guys were already enjoying Spring until I saw that photo of the guys lighting the new fire with thick jackets and big hats. Looks kinda like winter! Here in Madison, most of the snow disappeared over the weekend. Must be the warmth of Easter! Crocuses are blooming, so we live with hope as we zip up our winter jackets once again.

    ReplyDelete