Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pushing Spring















 
Pushing Spring.  The first time I hear that expression I was at a Pete and Lou Berryman concert.  They sang a song about pushing Spring in Wisconsin.  It basically means you're trying really hard to think Spring even though it isn't quire here.  The local equivalent here in Moldova has to do with a Romanian legend about Baba Dochia.  You can see her picture above shedding her many coats from winter.  Sometimes she takes too many off too soon.  And sometimes she shakes the dust off of them to cause a Spring snow storm.  Today I'm still wearing my Martisol (red and white decoration) from March 1st and also my winter scarf.  I'm beginning a new 500 piece jig saw puzzle today because the temperatures are in the 20's F and strong winds outside.  It's a good day to stay inside.  In Orhei I saw these bikes for sale.  I suppose a sign of Spring.  And here are other scenes from Piatra village life in these early days of Spring.  It rained one day this past week, and all the ducks in the yard were priming their  feathers.  The late afternoon sun bathes the valley in seeming warmth as new life tries to lift its head above ground.
 
I'm going to include a little link here to a music video from Moldova.  It's made by two brothers and I think the scenes give you a real flavor for village life here in Moldova. 

No comments:

Post a Comment