Sunday, August 12, 2012

You say potatoe, I say squat
















You say potatoe and I say squat.  Now let me explain.  To gather potatoes in Romanian language is the verb "a scoate"  to gather.  That's pronounced very closely to the English description of the position one must be in to gather potatoes, ie to squat.  And we did a lot of scoate this past Saturday.  You can see me in action above with the scoate team.  Fellow scoate members are (on your right) Lillia, daughter of my host mom, Iulia, and sister to Sergiu.  She is also mother of Marius whom you will meet very soon.  And also Leona, family relationship I'm not sure of, but one hard working squat mate.  And of course we have the skilled potatoe diggers who know just where to find those golden globes hiding in the earth.  That would be Sergiu on your left with the stylish cow boy hat and his dad, Ilie wearing the polo shirt.  Wait, here comes the local taxi delivering some goods along the valley.  Of course I had to take a break and do some horsing around.  Hey get on board, the meter is running.  Here we see Sergiu using the scythe to cut away wild plants that are blocking our squatting activity.  I'm given a lesson by Ilie on how to properly use the "coasa" or scythe.  Look out I'm dangerous with this thing in my hands.  I was reassigned to the "fork".  Well it was a long day in the potatoe fields and we harvested 10 bags weighing about 48 kilo's each.  Once again its Sergiu's leadership to thank for our squatting success.....and of course Marius as well.  Marius is 11 years old and quite a lot of fun to have around.  Well let's hope there's enough potatoes to last us through the winter.  And by the way, I was thinking that nobody should be elected president if they haven't had the chance to squat for potatoes.  Just my own philosphical mind churning as I squatted for golden "cartofi" (potatoes).

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love that photo of you in the cart, driving the horse! Wonderful word — scoate! Surely the English word has its roots somewhere in the potato field. Good way to train those muscles for other activities! I love the way the whole family gets out there to bring in the spuds... and there you are, part of it all! By the way, cartofi, in some parts of Poland, are called kartofle.

    ReplyDelete