Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday in Jeloboc



Where the heck is Jeloboc you say.  Well it's not too far from Orhei. (or-hey)   That's where I was last Sunday visiting the renovated church from 1914.  It amazes me that Moldovans think a hundred year old building is "ancient".  Put that question on the parking lot for furhter research.  But today I am making my acquaintance with people who will be my hosts for the next two years.  You're going to have to wait a few days for pictures.  I left my attachment for transferring pictures in Stauceni.  My new work site will be in Piatra, and Jeloboc is a "twin city" with Piatra.  I've spent the day here in Jeloboc with Julia who is the wife and mother here, and her 28 year old son Sergei. The father Ilie is away working but will be here in August when I come to stay permanently.  I think I've mentioned that Piatra means "rocks"  and Jeloboc means the place with water that animals go to.  And right outside my door there is the most wonderful meanering spring (river) in a valley that streches for miles and miles.  And there are lots of rocks on the hillsides.  So I think you are getting the rocks and springs connection of Piatra-Jeloboc.  This location is a short 20 minute ride east of the city of Orhei or a good hour and half from Chisinau.  It is a quiet, quiet village.  Much more stories to come once I get my pictures up loaded.  Have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a wonderful location for the next 2 years!

    ReplyDelete