Thursday, July 12, 2012

Peace Corps Project







Besides visiting a new town and host family last Sunday, I also met my work partner and visited the agency where I will be volunteering as a community consultant as my primary Peace Corps project.  Here you see me with my partner, the Director of the community Centru Universul, Doamna Viorica Osfatinschi.  She is the founder of the non-profit organization that operates this multifunctional community center.  About 80 people a day come to the center for a variety of activities.  It serves everyone from the very young to the elderly and homeless.  It has a staff of eleven that includes a social worker, a psychologist, a home-ec teacher, a speach therapist, a personal trainer, a music and nutritionist.  My job is to assist with program delivery as well as find new methods of youth involvement, teach some English and business classes, and do some promotion of volunteering fom the community.  Of course some of this work may involve grant reasearch and writing.  Next you see our town Mayor, Doamna Parascovia Negruta.  I of course stopped in to introduce myself.   Small world, her married daughter lives just outside Chicago.  On Tuesday and Wednesday this week, we came to Chisinau with our work partners to attend a workshop put on by Peace Corps.  It was held at the Institutul Munchii (Labor Institute).  It focused on mutual expectations we have about our work projects in Moldova.  Hopefully it means we are all on the same page to begin with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment