Tuesday, November 6, 2012

November in Moldova..While Waiting















 
Well it's November 6th here in Moldova and I'm sitting here wondering what people in America are doing today.  Given the time difference, I definitely won't know who we elected President until I wake up tomorrow.  But in the meantime, here's what's been happening here.  Halloween is quite the American holiday.  Not much of mention here.  The local media seems to stress October 31st as Pumpkin Day as a sign of Autumn is upon us.  But no jack-o-lanterns or trick and treating.  No stories of Dracula, or Vlad the Impaler.  So I had to share my American culture with my friends at the Community Center and carve a pumpkin.  I think he turned out great with a real candle inside.  Some people tried to listen to him.  But he did his best as a night guadian against ghosts and gobblins right in my own back yard.  Another November activity has been a mushroom hunt.  I was visiting fellow volunteer Robyn in Floritoia Veche (near Ungheni) and we spent a delightful Saturday morning hunting the silent wild mushroom in the local woods.  Let me tell you, they're not easy to find.  Robyn's host family, Tatiana and Nicolai were a big help.  We cleaned up the mushroom crop and enjoyed them later for a meal with "mamaliga" a cornmeal favorite.  Robyn's host family also makes white lightning, a type of distilled wine product that is as strong as whiskey.  You can see the still has a winter jacket on to help keep the brew hot.  And while in town, I attended my second Moldvan wedding.  You can check previous postings for the details of such an event.  But you can see that once again we were treated to a table of the best Moldovan food and spirits.  There were lot's of toasts "Sanatate" "Mults Ani"  "Noroc".  And of course much dancing and a happy everafter.  I really can't go to another wedding for at least six months.  They're just too exhausting for someone my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment