Saturday, January 25, 2014

My Birthday in Moldova


Ambassador William and Maria Moser

PC Country Director Janet Utecht











I think I'm behind the pillar.


Sergiu presents me with present


Mmmmm yum, beet and herring salad


Wow!  Real Moldovan church candles.



The unplanned candlelight desert.



US Embassy?   Yes, wonderful coincidence, Ambassador Moser invited all the Peace Corps volunteers in Moldova (100) to his house for a holiday party....on my birthday!  William and Maria Moser welcomed us to their elegant home in Chisinau.  Our PC Country Director Janet Utecht was there to introduce each of us as we arrived.  All the Christmas decorations were still up and very artful.  The table was set with many favorite American finger foods, like raw broccoli and dip.  Oh, turkey and cranberry sauce too.  Candelabra and cookies.  And of course, generous servings of wine.  This is Moldova!  Somehow the secret got out that it was my birthday and I was presented with a cookie and candle.  A great chorus of Happy Birthday by all present was quite a present indeed.  I easily blew out my candle.  That was Friday.  Sunday night, my host family had a supper for my birthday at home with out extended group of married sister and children.  Then on Monday, after work, my co-workers had a "masa" for me at work.  I popped the cork on a bottle of Cricova champaigne.  Sergiu presented me a gift from all the staff and we enjoyed the fine Moldovan sarmalies made by Iulia and tartina, and salada.  It was my favorite, beets with onion and herring covered in mayonaise.  Then it was time for cake and candles once again.  Not just ordinary candles, these are true Moldovan candles, the type you take to church with you.  The cake was so good, everyone wants to know where I got it.  Well I got it at "Tatiana's" in the Orhei piata.  As we enjoyed desert, the lights went out.  Not planned.  The ice storm that was brewing all afternoon had finally done in some connections.  We were without electricity for the next 20 hours.  The rest of that evening was nothing but candle light.  Well winter has returned to Moldova.  But not for long!  Ground Hog's Day is coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous 3-day birthday celebration! Excellent timing on the part of the ambassador! And I loved that you mentioned that the champagne on Monday was CRICOVA champagne — only the very finest!

    ReplyDelete