Saturday, July 20, 2013

Summer Scenes























 
Summertime and the livin' is easy.  At least that's how the song goes.  Last weekend I was down in Chisinau and my camera is always by my side.  I'll share a few shots with you.  The first scene is the National Cathedral which is in a beautiful central park.  One can even play a giant game of chess there.  Here are some of Chisinau's very modern apartments.  This building is only a few blocks from Peace Corps HQ in Chisinau.  I've watched it come together over the past year.  It looks like they're beginning to rent them out or sell them.  Of course, the central city has the charm of the older buildings such as this Chisinau government office.  Other sites, the central market or "piata" , the National Theater named for Mihai Eminescu, the greatest Romanian poet.  I tried lunch at the Nistru Café.  I guess I'm going to have to brush up on my Romanian.  I ordered trout and got chicken soup.  I get a kick out of cultural mix and match.  Kebabs are a favorite type of fast food.  Here we see an enterprising Kebabs Dos Amigos, mixing several cultural ingredients.  And there's nothing more touching to me than graffiti in English.  Now we shift to another part of Chisinau, the Academia de Studii Economice din Moldova (AESM).  This is where our new Peace Corps Volunteers have been training over the past six weeks.  This was the day of their work site announcements.  They draw a huge parking lot size map of Moldova and then announce the locations for the new guys.  This way they get a sense of where their whole class will be for the next two years.  You can see how eager and ready they are to go.  Back up in Orhei, summertime has meant more kids, more activities at my community center.  Here are some pictures from a day at a day camp in Orhei put on by the local Orthodox parish.   We took some of our kids from Piatra there to enjoy the fun and games.  Another week gone by and time for another walk along the Nistru here in my own backyard.  Things are looking good.  Hope they are for you as well.  La revidere until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment