Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Happy Birthday Season



La Mulți Ani,  that's what they say for Happy Birthday here in Moldova.  And I recently experienced my first birthday....in Moldova, that is.   Actually it was my 66th birthday, so I like to say I'm traveling down route 66, which is a joke no one gets here in Moldova.  But as you can see, it still puts a smile on my face.  At breakfast on my birthday, I was presented with this souvenir folk couple in Moldovan dress.  For supper, I  had the unusual pleasure of eating out at a restaurant in Orhei with my house mate Sergiu and a Peace Corps friend Walter.  We had some good food and drink and even an ice cream sundae for desert.  Sergiu had actually made me a delicious yellow cake with prune filling and chocolate icing.   We polished that one off at home in a few days.  And then more birthday fun with my Peace Corps friend, Robyn, who lives in Florițoaia Vechi.  She made pizza and home made hot wings for her family and guests.  And her fellow folk ensemble members also gave her some "masa dishes" as well as surprises from the kids at school.  Robyn is proud to announce that she has turned 30 years old.  So cheers to you, or "noroc" as they say here from two birthday kids, Warren and Robyn. And many thanks to all who sent me birthday wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment